This laboratory test method covers the quantitative determination of the knock rating of liquid spark-ignition engine fuel in terms of Research O.N. and the Motor Octane Number, including fuels that contain up to 25% v/v of ethanol. The sample fuel is tested using a standardized single cylinder, four-stroke, variable compression ratio, carbureted, CFR engine run in accordance with a defined set of operating conditions.
features & benefits
• Easy conversion between MON and RON methods is accomplished by use of the dual speed motor, with no need to change the flywheel.
• The dual speed motor with slide base steadily provides constant octane engine speeds as per ASTM D2699 and D2700 methods during operation.
• The engine crankcase is designed with high strength and rigidity for various fuel types to ensure long service life and carefree operation.
• The cylinder assembled allows the compression ratio to be changed by adjusting the cylinder height, which is adjusted by the electric motor assembly.
• The dial indicator is installed on the octane engine for direct reference to the cylinder height.
• The compression ratio and ignition timing are displayed directly on the operating panel, and displays the compensated reading for barometric pressure.
• With digital knock signal adjustment, combustion knock is converted into a stable and accurate analog signal to improve accuracy and efficiency.
• Through the engines safety system, the engine auto-stops with various fault indications.
• With the exhaust surge tank system, the engine eliminates resonance pulses and back pressure for more consistent and accurate results.
Compression Ratio Adjustment: Motor-driven
Compression Ratio Display Device: Dial Indicator & Digital Counter
Engine Speed Conversion: Dual-Speed Motor
Carburetor: Four-Bowl (with a cooling function)
Ignition Timing Display: Digital (Auto-set)
Crankcase Pressure Display: Yes
Crankcase Oil Heater: Yes
Oil Temperature Display: Yes
Air Humidity Control Apparatus: Yes
Unit Protection Systems: Yes
• The intake air humidity equipment regulates the moisture content of the intake air as per the ASTM specifications.
Conforms to the specifications of:
ASTM D2699 and ASTM D2700
Working Range: 40 – 120 Octane Number
Cylinder Jacket Coolant Temperature: 100°C ± 1.5°C (212°F ±3°F)
Crankcase Oil Temperature: 57°C ± 8.5°C (135°F ±15°F)
Engine Speed: 900 ± 9 rpm
Ignition Timing: Variable as Cylinder Height is changed
Intake Air Temperature: 38°C ± 1°C (100°F ±5°F)
Intake Mixture Temperature: 149°C ± 1°C (300°F 2F)
Engine Speed: 600 ± 6 rpm
Ignition Timing: 13° BTDC
Intake Air Temperature: 52°C ± 1°C (125°F ±2F)
Compression Ratio (C.R.): 4:1 – 18:1
Cylinder Bore (diameter): 82.55 mm (3.250”)
Stroke: 114.30 mm (4.50”)
Carburetor Venturi (Research): 14.30 mm (9/16”)
Intake Valve Clearance (Hot): 0.20 mm ± 0.025 mm (0.008in. ±0.001in)
Exhaust Valve Clearance: 0.20 mm ± 0.025 mm
Intake Valve Opens Timing: 10° ± 2.5° ATDC
Intake Valve Closes Timing: 34° ABDC
Exhaust Valve Opens Timing: 40° BBDC
Exhaust Valve Closes Timing: 15° ± 2.5° ATDC
Crankcase Oil Pressure: 172 kPa – 207 kPa (25psi to 30psi)